Sunday, February 10, 2008

More about Books

Foggy driving this week. I'm not sure I saw the sun, actually. 

I want to start by saying this: Having received my MSLIS from Syracuse University's iSchool, I was resigned to the idea that books were on their way out. I thought that for all practical purposes, everything in the future would be electronic, and books would be left in the dust. 

Now maybe this will still be true, but I also see signs of the opposite. For example, Slashdot has a book review section. In an online article in Smashing Magazine about web design, comments repeatedly refer to a book. Someone I know who's working on a Ph.D. in the sciences maintains a whole shelf of texts to refer to. 

I don't know why these things should hold my attention, except that part of me hopes that a book still has value to a fast-paced culture focused on the present and the disposable. Even digitized books may prove valuable more because they are searchable than because they are readable there. 
 
I know this is short, but I'm going to stop now before I start to sound stodgy. If it's not too late...

No comments:

Post a Comment