Sunday, August 24, 2008

Back into the Fray


Hello from New Jersey! I'm happy to report that I'm the newest staff member at Camden County College's Blackwood Campus library: I just finished my first week as the new Reference and Instruction Librarian. And luckily for this blog, I'm still driving an hour each way to work. So plenty of time to contemplate the state of libraries and librarianship beyond my everyday job functions.

One thing that those involved in library instruction learned this past week is that we have new logo for information literacy. Here it is:


Now, there were some snarky comments I read in response to the announcement (IFLA and UNESCO hosted a design contest for an international information literacy logo), but I think it's kind of neat. I mean, it's a graphic that we can point to and use in branding, and most of us didn't have to put forth any effort to create it. It's just there waiting for us to use it. And it's not tied to any corporate brand -- it's entirely our own.

I realize that a lot of my optimism with regards to libraryland reflects my youth and relative newness to the profession, but to me this logo reflects the fact that even if a lot of faculty still don't fully understand what information literacy is, it's increasingly recognized as important to educational institutions. Information literacy belongs to libraries, and weren't libraries worried about their very existence earlier in this decade? The logo just adds another layer of emphasis.

Anyhow, the logo gets a big thumbs up from me.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations. I did make some snarky comments about the logo. It looks too much like a book to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I understand that point but greater minds than mine have tried and failed to come up with a graphical representation for the array of digital information associated with libraries. As old fashioned as books may seem, a picture of one still implies the concept of information. It is oversimplified, but I prefer the prize-winning graphic to a lengthy textual explanation or a confusing/ambiguous image.

    ReplyDelete