Sunday, September 14, 2008

Computers and Fun

(Library and Learning Resources Center at Camden CC)

I know there has been a lot of discussion and head-shaking at how thoughtless and self-absorbed the younger generation in America is, but I don't think it's all bleak, particularly when it comes to relations with technology. I've written before about how I think my attitude, for example, toward computing is different from the generation ahead of me, and I wonder if this has anything to do with it:

My relationship with computers has been heavily influenced by growing up with them as a child at home. They were fun. I could play games on them, draw/paint with them, and later talk to friends using them. Computers for me weren't part of the drudgery of workplace automation, and my use of them wasn't something my employer enforced. Perhaps more importantly, they were not introduced to me as part of working life.

I find this has affected my attitude toward computing when I use one for work: I have comparatively high expectations of what technology should be able to do for me, and what I should be allowed to do using a computer. The computer, if not a friend, is at least a friendly presence that exists to help me -- rather than a combatant in a never-ending wrestling match, for example.

Whoever's grand idea this was, it worked. You can complain about facebook and idiot culture on the web, but it's when people personally adopt a technology that they are effectively able to work with it on the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment