Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Things I'm Excited about at ALA

purple coneflower, on campus

On Thursday I'll be heading to ALA in Chicago. This will be my first time attending, and I'm so glad to have the opportunity to go! It's something I've been looking forward to all year.

My current schedule contains too many things to list here, so I'll just describe the events I'm particularly anticipating, in chronological order. Next week I'll report back on what turned out to be the most valuable/interesting/enlightening.

1) Friday: Unconference. I've been a fan of the unconference since I attended one last year in Syracuse (I wrote about it here). At this one I'm honored to be hosting a discussion, originally entitled "How libraries can provide services using patrons' online social networks without being creepy." I hope people come with ideas, because I still have not found satisfactory answers since suggesting the topic earlier this year...

2) Saturday's Serials Solutions breakfast discussion of Summon. The neatest thing since sliced bread? Well, they've got my attention.

3) Saturday: ACRL's College and Junior College Libraries Discussion Group, "Hot Topics in Community College Librarianship." I'm expecting to have a lot in common with folks in this group.

4) Sunday: ACRL's Distance Learning Section meeting. Who doesn't want to talk about intricacies of authentication and online learning theory?

5) Sunday: ACRL Instruction Section program "Illuminating New Instruction Research: Applying Research to Practice." I am an instruction librarian, after all.

6) Monday: Volunteering at the New Member's Round Table booth at McCormick Place. I even volunteered to do a write-up of the experience. Looking forward to the view from behind the booth.

7) Monday: OCLC's President's Lunch. Taking the place of our director, who is not attending. I hope nobody mistakes me for a waiter. Not that there's anything wrong with being a waiter.

No comments:

Post a Comment